Follow Up With no CA125 Elevation

Question

I had ovarian cancer 10 years ago. My CA-125 was never elevated and the cancer was found during a hysterectomy for other reasons. How can I be sure I haven't developed a recurrence, as I am having similar symptoms to those I had before the hysterectomy?

Some patients with ovarian cancers, even when advanced, will not have an elevation in CA-125 at the time of diagnosis. For these patients, regular physical examinations along with imaging scans from time to time are very important in their follow-up care. Most physicians will check a CA-125 regularly, as well. Fortunately, it would be very unusual for ovarian cancer to recur after ten years. You should see your physician to have your current symptoms evaluated.

Cancer and Hair Loss
February 11, 2016

From the National Cancer Institute