Swelling Under my Right Arm Pit

Last Modified: October 5, 2008

My recent mammogram revealed a stable nodule in the upper outer quadrant of the right breast, likely an intramammary lymph node. For many years, I have had a swelling under my right arm pit which doctors tell me is breast tissue. My mammogram was routine and I was told to follow up in l year. Should I wait or check it out?

Angela DeMichele, M.D., MSCE, Assistant Professor of Medicine and Epidemiology at the University of Pennsylvania and Senior Scholar in the Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, responds:

From the information provided, it sounds like the mammogram finding is not concerning to the radiologist. However, if there is any concern about this on the part of the patient, or concern about the swelling under her arm, I would suggest that she have a consultation with a breast surgeon. This way, the mammogram will be reviewed by another source and the examination can be performed by someone experienced with breast problems.

Breast Cancer Survivorship: A Roadmap
August 20, 2013

Where Are the Adults in the Room?
by Rodney Warner, JD