CAM Makes Me More Anxious?

Question

I have such a hard time trying to relax and feel that many complementary therapies, like guided imaginary, meditation, mindfulness, only make me more anxious. It seems like more quiet, makes my mind race more. How can I overcome this?

Answer

Wayne Mylin, Dipl. ABT (NCCAOM), AOBTA-CP is an Asian Bodywork Therapist specializing in Shiatsu and Acupressure at Pennsylvania Hospital, responds:

You are not alone... many people find that their anxiety increases when trying to become still and quiet. In this case, a good option is to relax by focusing on ways to discharge tension, stress and anxiety. Activities such as walking, stretching, yoga, swimming, and treatments such as shiatsu and massage (which occupy your mind with the sensation of touch) can be a very effective way to relax.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. See the full transcript from IntegrativeTherapies in Cancer Care.

Minority patients more willing than whites to expend their financial resources to prolong life

Apr 27, 2011 - Black cancer patients are more willing to expend their personal financial resources in order to extend life compared to white cancer patients, according to a study published online April 26 in Cancer.