Trouble Swallowing after Treatment

Question

I have an appointment with a speech and swallowing person next week in the hopes of getting help with my trouble swallowing since treatment for pharynx cancer. Can you give me some idea of what they can do for me or what to expect?

Answer

Patricia Dooley, Associate Director of the Division of Speech Language Pathology at Penn Medicine, responds:

A speech pathologist will review your history, talk to you about your symptoms and conduct a swallowing evaluation. Based on the results of the swallowing evaluation, diet recommendations may be given; swallowing techniques and swallowing exercises may be provided.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire Head and Neck Cancer Q&A Webchat transcript.

Understanding prostate cancer screening