Cancer Risk With Actinic Keratosis

Question

I have been told I have some spots on my skin called"actinic keratosis." Does this mean I will get skin cancer?

Answer

Rachel Woods, RN, Nurse for the Surgical Dermatology Program at Penn Medicine responds:

If you have an AK, you are at risk for developing squamous cell cancer. AKs are precancerous and can be treated easily but it is a warning to keep vigilant about your skin checks

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire Sun Safety Webchat transcript.

People of Color Need Sun Protection to Avoid Skin Cancer

Feb 17, 2014 - Although skin cancer is less prevalent among people of color than in whites, sun protection and other preventive measures are essential components of skin care in these populations, according to research published online Jan. 30 in the Journal of the A