Family History of Melanoma

Question

Does having a family history of melanoma increase my chances of getting it?

Answer

Christopher Miller, MD, Dermatologist & Moh's Surgeon at Penn Medicine responds:

A family history of melanoma does increase your chances of getting melanoma. If you have a first degree relative (e.g., mother, father, and sibling) with melanoma, your risk may be increased 2-8 times. We recommend a skin check by a professional for anyone with a family history of skin cancer.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire Sun Safety Webchat transcript.

What every person should know when facing a cancer diagnosis