Sunglasses Protecting Against UV Rays

Question

Sunglasses are just fashionable. They don't actually protect against the sun's harmful rays: Fact or Myth?

Answer

Christopher Miller, MD, Dermatologist & Moh's Surgeon at Penn Medicine responds:

Sunglasses can protect your eyes from ultraviolet light. However, not all sunglasses have ultraviolet filters in the lenses. Be sure to find sunglasses that state that there is UV protection. Without UV protection, sunglasses can be more dangerous, because they allow light to pass without bothering you as much.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire Sun Safety Webchat transcript.