Raw Diet for Pets with Cancer

Question

I've read that a diet free of grains may slow the cancer, is this accurate? what are the panel's thoughts on the Budwig diet or flax oil/cottage cheese combination?

Erika Krick, VMD, DACVIM, Veterinary Medical Oncologist, University of Pennsylvania, responds:

Answer

There are no clinical studies of grain free diets in dogs with cancer. I would recommend that you consult a holistic veterinarian or veterinary nutritionist with your diet questions.

The AVMA recently approved a policy on raw diets that may be helpful.

Learn more about Nutrition in the Pet with Cancer.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire transcript from When a Beloved Pet has Cancer.

Don't Assume You Understand

Snack Foods Linked to Colorectal Cancer Risk in Lynch Syndrome

Dec 18, 2012

Diet high in fried foods and sodas associated with higher risk of early colon cancer

Researchers note certain foods associated with increased, decreased risk of the disease

Feb 26, 2010

Bone Marrow Biopsy Adds Little to PET/CT Staging of Hodgkin's

Nov 15, 2012

Absence of positive bone marrow biopsy for patients with PET/CT-assessed stage I, II disease