Euthanasia at Home

Question

Can my pet be euthanized at home?

Christina Bach, Oncology Social Worker at Penn Medicine, responds:

The availability of in home euthanasia varies state to state based on laws and regulations. You should talk with your veterinarian if this is an option for you (if he/she can provide this or if he/she knows someone who does). There is also an online directory at http://inhomepeteuthanasia.com/index.php?option=com_sobi2&catid=39&Itemid=44

In home euthanasia can be especially helpful with animals who have phobias and anxieties associated with going to the veterinarian. It can also help the owner maintain some control over the process.

You will need to talk with the provider about disposition of the body (will the provider take the body, will the body be cremated) as well as costs involved with providing this procedure in the home.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire transcript from When a Beloved Pet has Cancer.

Benefit Seen from Pet-Focused Smoking Education

Apr 18, 2014 - Pet owners who smoke may benefit from educational campaigns informing them of the dangers of secondhand smoke exposure to their pets, according to a report published online Feb. 10 in Tobacco Control.