Chromagranin A Blood Test

Question

When is chromagranin A used? Is there any preparation for this test?

Answer

Nevena Damjanov, MD, Medical Oncologist at Penn Medicine responds.

The chromogranin A blood test is used to monitor neuroendocrine tumors that secrete chromogranin A. It is used in combination with imaging modalities as part of the physician's attempt to assess whether treatment needs to be started or changed. Though there is no preparation necessary, we know that some medications and some medical conditions affect the chromogranin A level. For that reason, it is not used in isolation to determine treatment recommendations.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire transcript from the Focus on Neuroendocrine Tumors Webchat.