Long Term Effect of Radiation on Brain Function

Oncolink

Question

Does the impact of radiation get worse over years of survivorship (I am a 10yr survivor) - memory loss seems bad, but does impact of it & scar tissue change over time?

Robert Lustig, MD, Pediatric & Adult Radiation Oncologist at Penn Medicine, responds:

Answer

Long term effects of radiation on the brain may progress over time. Neurocognitive rehab may be useful as well as some of the medications used in treatment of other memory problems.

Social Outcomes Good for Most Pediatric Brain Tumor Survivors

Oct 22, 2012 - While the majority of survivors of pediatric embryonal tumors display positive social outcomes several years after diagnosis and treatment, specific risk factors may affect social adjustment and behavior over the long term, according to research published online Oct. 15 in the Journal of Clinical Oncology.