Whole Brain or Cyberknife for Brain Metastases?

Oncolink

Question

How do I know if whole brain radiation or cyberknife radiation is better? My doctor said both are an option. Are both as effective? Does one have more side effects or worse side effects?

Robert Lustig, MD, Pediatric & Adult Radiation Oncologist at Penn Medicine, responds:

Answer

I will answer assuming you have brain metastasis from a cancer somewhere else in the body. The choice of treatment depends on the number of brain lesions and the patients overall condition. In my practice I usually recommend focal treatment (Cyberknife or Gamma Knife) if there are 4 or fewer lesions and reserve whole brain radiation if it is needed in the future.

Cellular + Gene Rx Promising for Breast Cancer Metastatic to Brain

Aug 7, 2013 - Cellular immunotherapy and gene therapy alone or in combination are effective in reducing tumor size and improving survival in a mouse model of breast cancers that have metastasized to the brain, according to a study published in the Aug. 1 issue of Clinical Cancer Research.