Is Radiation Always Given After Surgery for Brain Tumor?

Oncolink

Question

Is radiation always given after surgery for a brain tumor? When is chemotherapy used?

Lisa Lycksell MSN, CRNP Nurse Practitioner at Penn Medicine, responds:

Answer

Radiation is not always given after surgery for a brain tumor. Both radiation and chemotherapy are determined by the pathology of the tumor after it was removed through surgery. The use of radiation following surgery for glioma depends on the grade of the glioma, age of the patient, and presence of residual tumor.

Surgical resection and whole brain radiation therapy prolongs survival and improves symptoms

Mar 14, 2011 - Surgical resection and whole brain radiation therapy of gastrointestinal brain metastases is associated with prolonged survival and improved quality of life, but survival is still lower compared to metastases arising from other tumors, according to a review published online Feb. 11 in Cancer.