Antioxidants and Reducing Cancer Risk

Katrina Claghorn, RD

Question
Should I take antioxidants after I have been diagnosed with cancer?

Answer
Katrina Claghorn, RD, Oncology Dietitian for The University of Pennsylvania Health System, responds:

Most cancer centers are counseling patients against taking antioxidants during chemotherapy and radiation therapy therapy since there is the possibility they may reduce the effectiveness of the treatments. The rationale is that antioxidants may somehow protect the tumor during cytoreductive therapy.

Also, since people often think more is better and may take LARGE amounts of many of the antioxidants it is important to warn people about the potential impact on their treatment. However the key word is "potential", since there are no studies to support the assumption. It is important to understand that the recommendation to avoid antioxidant nutrients only applies during active cancer treatment. These nutrients can be very beneficial before andafter therapy.

Antioxidant Supplements Do Not Appear to Raise Melanoma Risk

Sep 2, 2014 - Intake of multivitamin and antioxidant supplements, including those containing selenium and beta-carotene, has no impact on the risk of developing melanoma, according to a study in the August issue of the Archives of Dermatology. The findings refute those of the Supplementation in Vitamins and Mineral Antioxidants (SUVIMAX) study, which found antioxidants increased the risk of melanoma four-fold in women.