Chance That Surgery Could Find Benign Tumor

Question

I am having surgery for a thyroid cancer found with a biopsy but I read online that they could do the surgery and find out it is benign. Is that really true?

Answer

Rachel Kelz, MD, MSCE, at Penn Medicine responds:

The accuracy of the pre-operative diagnosis is dependent upon the cytologist that reviews the slides. It varies across institutions. Assuming the pre-operative diagnosis is made by an experienced cytopathologist, the likelihood of benign results following an FNA that is a proven cancer is small (<3%.) There are several FNA diagnoses that are not overt CANCER that require surgery for a definitive diagnosis such as follicular neoplasm and suspicious for thyroid cancer. These diagnoses are expected to be benign on pathologic review in a specific percent of patients.

This question and answer was part of OncoLink's Brown Bag Web Chat Series. View the entire transcript of Focus on Thyroid Cancer.

Keywords

Don't Assume You Understand