Hospitalization for chronic myelogenous leukemia

Selina M. Luger, MD

Question

One of my close friends has recently been diagnosed with Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia. Is there a possibility of them being hospitalized from the disease?

Answer

Selina M. Luger, MD, Director of the Leukemia Program and Assistant Professor of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania, responds:

CML or chronic myelogenous leukemia is often diagnosed when patients are found to have high white blood cell counts. The disease is characterized by an abnormality in the genes or DNA of the blood cells. Usually patients are diagnosed in the chronic phase and most of the treatment for chronic phase CML is given as an outpatient. There is usually no need for hospitalization. Depending on the age of your friend and on their response to the treatment chosen, there may be some discussion of bone marrow transplantation, and this would require hospitalization and be a quite complicated therapy. Fortunately, there have been some exciting new developments in our understanding of CML and its treatment and many patients are now being successfully treated without a bone marrow transplant.

Experts Aim to Draw Attention to High Cancer Drug Costs

May 14, 2013 - A group of more than 100 leukemia experts believes the current prices of chronic myelogenous leukemia drugs are too high, may compromise access of needy patients to highly effective therapy, and are harmful to the sustainability of national health care systems, according to an editorial published online April 25 in Blood.