Financial Issues Pertaining to Chemotherapy and Testicular Cancer

Question
I am currently entering chemotherapy for early Stage III testicular cancer. There will be some days where I will have to take a private service to and from therapy sessions.

1. I would like to know if there is any reimbursement programs or services available for transportation? My insurance carrier does not cover this.
  2. I would also like to know if there is any services available for support or reimbursement for sperm banking since I am a new father of one child and my wife and I would still like to have another?

Answer
The availability of free or reduced price transportation services for cancer patients varies from area to area. The first step would be to contact your insurer to determine if transportation services would be covered. If the insurer does not provide coverage, the next step would be for you to contact your local chapter of the American Cancer Society [hyperlink to ACS here] to obtain a listing of transportation services available in your area. It should be noted that these services frequently utilize a sliding fee schedule based on an individual's income.

It is also suggested that you contact your local hospital's Social Services Department to determine if the hospital offers transportation services, or if they offer services through their preferred transportation provider.

Finally, we suggest that you contact your local public transportation authority to determine if they offer subsidized transportation service.

As in the case above, we suggest that you initially contact your local chapter of the American Cancer Society, and/or your local hospital's Social Services Department for information on sperm banking. In addition, we suggest that you personally contact local sperm banks and explain your situation. They may be able to provide some form of discounted fee.