Leg Amputation Due to Cancer

Question
I would like to find out info on helping my dog adapt to a front leg amputation due to cancer. Are there resources where I can get info or talk with people who may have had the experience?

Is there rehab training for this?

Answer
Lili Duda, VMD, Editor of the OncoLink Veterinary Oncology Section, responds:

Most dogs adapt very well to amputations. Possible complications are concurrent orthopedic problems (such as degenerative joint disease) and obesity. There are several rehabilitation facilities for veterinary patients, but as it is a relatively new field, it might be hard to find one in your area. You might want to consider massage therapy, either with a professional or at home—there are books available on the topic. The surgeon performing the amputation might have resources available—don't hesitate to ask your veterinarian as many questions as you need to in order to feel comfortable with the procedure and recovery process.

Don't Assume You Understand

Best Treatment for Lower Extremity Sarcoma Unknown

Need for more studies comparing impact, benefit of limb salvage surgery with amputation

Skin Cancer Frequency in Chronic Leg Ulcers >10 Percent

Feb 23, 2012

Frequency high enough to consider systematic wound biopsy for treatment-refractory ulcers

Nicotine Dependence Underdiagnosed in U.S. Vets

Vets without diagnosis less likely to be diagnosed and treated