Treatment Options for a Dog with Fibrosarcoma

Question
My 12-year-old doberman has been diagnosed with both hemangiopericytoma and mast cell cancer. I find very little information on hemangiopericytoma. This tumor was incompletely removed from a hind leg. What is usual recommended treatment? Would 5-FU be beneficial in this type of cancer?  
Thanks

Answer
Lili Duda, VMD, Editor of the OncoLink Veterinary Oncology Section, responds:

There is no need to euthanize a dog with a tumor, even if large, if it is not affecting his quality of life. Although, a surgery to remove just the "outer growth" of the tumor is contraindicated. If surgery is to be considered at all, it should be surgery to remove the tumor including the jawbone. Dogs tolerate removal of the lower jaw extremely well, and can be curative for some fibrosarcomas if complete removal is accomplished, and there is no tumor spread, which is relatively uncommon for fibrosarcomas of the lower jaw. Removing just the visible part of the tumor is like cutting a weed off at the ground—the entire massive root system is still left intact, and the weed will rapidly regrow, often much more aggressively.

Anti-inflammatories and antibiotics might help to keep a dog more comfortable, because tumors of the oral cavity are often associated with secondary infection and inflammation.

Studies outline new options for the standard treatment of various lymphoma types

Dec 7, 2010 - Rituximab may be a better option than watchful waiting in some lymphoma patients, and a new treatment option appears effective for relapsed or refractory Hodgkin's lymphoma, according to two studies being presented at the annual meeting of the American Society of Hematology, held from Dec. 4 to 7 in Orlando, Fla. Other research being presented will highlight new options for the standard treatment of advanced asymptomatic follicular lymphoma; mantle cell lymphoma; and early, unfavorable Hodgkin's disease.