Signs and Symptoms of Testicular Cancer

John Han-Chih Chang, MD and Kenneth Blank, MD

Question
Will you please tell me what are the signs and symptoms of testicular cancer? I know a lump might be one sign, but what else could there be?

Answer
Kenneth Blank, MD, Editorial Assistant for Oncolink, respond:

Dear OncoLink Reader:
Thank you for your question.

You are correct. A lump on the testis is a sign of testicular cancer and is the most common presenting sign. However, not all testicular lumps are cancerous. Other signs and symptoms include:

• lump in either testicle; the lump typically is pea-sized, but sometimes it might be bigger
  • Any enlargement of a testicle;
  • A significant shrinking of a testicle;
  • A feeling of heaviness in the scrotum;
  • A dull ache in the lower abdomen or in the groin;
  • A collection of fluid in the scrotum;
  • Pain or discomfort in a testicle or in the scrotum;
  • Enlargement or tenderness of the breasts.
OncoLink has many valuable resources, which may be of help to readers interested in testicular cancer. It is important to note that testicular cancer is the most common cancer in men between the ages of 15 and 35. Also notable is the very high cure rate of this cancer when found early. This fact makes testicular self exam an important tool.

If you feel a lump in your testis, or are concerned about any of the above symptoms, please consult your local urologist for a complete history and physical examination.