Hot Tub Use with a PEG Tube in Place

Katrina Claghorn, MS, RD

Question
I had a squamous cell cancer removed, via a radical neck dissection. The pathology was very clean, but the 6 cm size of the tumor (growing on my right tonsil) has my doctor recommending radiation follow up. I have been using a hot tub to relieve stiffness in my shoulder. Once I get the PEG tube, will I no longer be able to fully submerge?

Answer
Katrina Claghorn, MS, RD, registered dietitian at the Abramson Cancer Center of the University of Pennsylvania, responds:

It is generally recommended that you not submerge a PEG tube until 3-4 weeks after it has been placed. Once the site has healed you can bathe, swim or sit in a hot tub. However it is not advisable to swim in the ocean because the salt might aggravate the wound.

Reirradiation May Extend Life in Head and Neck Cancers

Aug 21, 2014 - For some patients, reirradiation of recurrent head and neck cancer can extend life. But for those with comorbidities or organ dysfunction, such as feeding tube dependence, it is likely to offer only palliative support, according to a report in the March 16 issue of the Journal of Clinical Oncology.