Bronchioloalveolar Carcinoma of Lung

This article has been archived.
Please use for reference only.

Li Liu, MD

Question
One of my family members has bronchioloalveolar carcinoma of lung with distant metastases. She is going to have a surgery to remove a tumor from her leg. She would like to know what NEW treatment she can take after the surgery? What chemotherapy & radiation trials can she participate in?

Answer
Li Liu, MD, OncoLink editorial assistant, responds:

Thank you for your interest and question.

There are a few National Cancer Institute (NCI) sponsored trials available for Stage IV non-small cell lung cancer.

• Phase II study of Dolsatatin 10 in patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer. MSKCC-98070, NCI-T98-0016.
  • Phase II study of a 96-hour continuous infusion of Paclitaxel followed by Cisplatin for advanced or Relapsed non-small cell lung cancer. NCI-95-C-0198.
  • Phase II study of Paclitaxel (Taxol) by 96 hour infusion in patients with Stage IIIB or Stage IV bronchioloalveolar carcinoma. SWOG-9714.
  • Phase II randomized study of Carboplatin and Gemcitabine (Gemzar®) followed by Paclitaxel vs Cisplatin and Vinorelbine followed by Docetaxel in patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer. SWOG-9806.
More trials can be found at the NCI Web site. The majority of the trials require measurable or evaluable disease. You should talk to your physician regarding these trials.