Is CLL Hereditary?

Selina M. Luger, MD

Question

I just wanted to know if I could inherit (CLL) from my mother. She got it when she was about 40, and she has had it for 21 years.  

Answer

Selina M. Luger, MD, Director of the Leukemia Program and Assistant Professor of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania, responds:

Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (CLL) is not thought to be hereditary. Approximately 10,000 new cases are diagnosed per year in the United States, making it the most common form of leukemia in adults.

Researchers Examine Etiology of Ibrutinib Discontinuation in CLL

Feb 27, 2015 - For patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia, the Bruton tyrosine kinase inhibitor ibrutinib is effective, and prognosis is poor after discontinuation, according to a study published online Feb. 26 in JAMA Oncology. The research identifies, for the first time, baseline factors associated with ibrutinib therapy discontinuation.