Aromatase inhibitors after Tamoxifen

Kevin Fox, MD

Question

I am a male breast cancer patient who has just completed five years of Tamoxifen. I am trying to decide if starting on an Aromatase Inhibitor would be a prudent dedision and have many conflicting opinions. Is there any research or information that would help me decide?  

Answer

Kevin Fox, MD, Assistant Director, Clinical Affairs and Associate Professor of Hematology/Oncology at the Abramson Cancer Center of the University of Pennsylvania, responds:

There is no data to support the supplemental use of aromatase inhibitors in either women or men going off of tamoxifen after five years. Clinical trials to answer this question in women are ongoing. I am not aware of any clinical trials currently enrolling men to evaluate this drug.

The Controversy of Screening