Repeat Pap after Atypical squamous cells

Christina S. Chu, MD

Question

My pap results came back as "A Typical" Squamous cells and my doctor said to return in 3 months for a repeat pap. Is 3 months typical to re-test for this type of result?

Thanks.  

Answer

Christina S. Chu, MD, Assistant Professor of the Division of Gynecologic Oncology at the University of Pennsylvania Health System, responds: "Atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance" is a common diagnosis on Pap test. The usual follow-up involves repeat Pap tests every 4-6 months for about 2 years. If a test in this time period shows atypical cells again, a colposcopy is performed. If the Paps are normal in this period, it is safe to resume normal yearly screening.