Multiple sexual partners as a risk factor for cervical cancer

Christina S. Chu, MD

Question

I've read that "many different partners" may be a contributing factor of cervical cancer. Why this is so?  

Answer

In the past, having many different sexual partners was identified as a risk factor for developing cervical cancer, along with having a history of multiple sexually transmitted diseases, and early age at first sexual intercourse. While no one can say for certain what the link is between sexual activity and cervical cancer, one can assume that sexual activity may increase the chance of transmission of the human papilloma virus (HPV). Certain strains of the HPV virus have been implicated in the development of cervical cancer.

In Stockholm, 93 percent of tonsillar cancers were HPV-positive in 2006-2007

Oct 18, 2010 - Changing sexual practices, including increased oral sex, multiple sex partners, and an early start of sexual activity, are behind an epidemic of oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma (OSCC) linked to sexually transmitted human papillomavirus (HPV), according to an article in the November issue of Emerging Infectious Diseases.