Risk of pregnancy after a diagnosis of breast cancer

Kevin Fox, MD

Question

Is it really a risk to become pregnant when diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer, which has been stable for 2 years? Is the breast cancer likely to "flare up" due to the increase in estrogen?

Answer

Kevin Fox, MD Assistant Director, Clinical Affairs and Associate Professor of Hematology/Oncology at the Abramson Cancer Center of the University of Pennsylvania responds:

It is presumed that estrogen-sensitive breast cancers will be sensitive to all forms of estrogen with few exceptions. No form of estrogen is safer than another. There can be large increases in estrogen secretion with pregnancy. I personally think it is pretty risky.

After early-stage diagnosis, drinking linked to higher risk of recurrence, disease-related death

Sep 1, 2010 - Among women who previously were diagnosed with early-stage breast cancer, alcohol drinking may increase the risks for disease recurrence and death, especially in postmenopausal and overweight and obese women, according to research published online Aug. 30 in the Journal of Clinical Oncology.

3D Mammography: What is it?