Risk of pregnancy after a diagnosis of breast cancer

Kevin Fox, MD

Question

Is it really a risk to become pregnant when diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer, which has been stable for 2 years? Is the breast cancer likely to "flare up" due to the increase in estrogen?

Answer

Kevin Fox, MD Assistant Director, Clinical Affairs and Associate Professor of Hematology/Oncology at the Abramson Cancer Center of the University of Pennsylvania responds:

It is presumed that estrogen-sensitive breast cancers will be sensitive to all forms of estrogen with few exceptions. No form of estrogen is safer than another. There can be large increases in estrogen secretion with pregnancy. I personally think it is pretty risky.

EBCC: Pregnancy Does Not Promote Breast Cancer Relapse

Mar 23, 2012 - Women who have been diagnosed with estrogen receptor-positive breast cancer can safely become pregnant without increasing the risk of recurrence, according to a study presented at the annual European Breast Cancer Conference, held from March 21 to 24 in Vienna.

3D Mammography: What is it?