Does aspirin use prevent the development of colon cancer?

James D. Lewis, MD, MSCE

Question

Answer

James D. Lewis, MD, MSCE, Assistant Professor of Medicine, Senior Scholar at the Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, and Senior Fellow in the Leonard Davis Institute of Health Economics at the University of Pennsylvania, responds:

Use of aspirin probably reduces the risk of developing colon cancer, but it does not entirely eliminate the risk. Therefore, even if you are taking aspirin, you should still participate in a colon cancer screening program. There are a number of trials developed or under design to prevent the development of colorectal cancer. Please visit the OncoLink/NCCRA colorectal cancer prevention database and register if you are interested in exploring clinical trials evaluating these new agents.