Hormone Receptors Explained

Kevin R. Fox, MD
Last Modified: October 27, 2002

Question

I was told that my cancer is hormone receptor positive. Please explain what that means.  

Answer

Kevin R. Fox, MD, Assistant Director, Clinical Affairs and Associate Professor of Hematology/Oncology at the Abramson Cancer Center of the University of Pennsylvania, responds:

Hormone receptors are proteins that most breast cancers possess. The presence of these proteins means that the cancer requires estrogen for its growth. Cancers that contain these estrogen receptors are often slower growing and spread less often than cancers that do not contain estrogen receptors. Most importantly, patients with breast cancers that contain estrogen receptors can take the drug tamoxifen, which attacks these receptors, and can keep the cancer from spreading.

Hormone Receptor Levels Predict Trastuzumab Effect

Jan 4, 2012 - Patients with human epidermal growth factor receptor 2-positive advanced breast cancer whose tumors also express hormone receptors may be less responsive to the addition of trastuzumab to chemotherapy, suggesting that hormone receptor expression has a predictive role in determining response to therapy, according to research published in the Jan. 1 issue of Cancer.

The Controversy of Screening