Can diet increase platelets?

Question

What can you eat or do to increase the platelet count? My father has not stopped bleeding at the colostomy location. He is also diabetic.  

Answer

Katrina Claghorn, MS, RD, Registered Dietitian at the Abramson Cancer Center of the University of Pennsylvania, responds:

There really are no particular foods that directly affect platelet levels. A low platelet count is caused more by medications and disease state. Ongoing bleeding around the colostomy site should be brought to the attention of your father's physician. Wound healing can be prolonged in diabetics as well so this may be a factor. Definitely have this evaluated further soon.

About life with cancer