LEEP vs. Hysterectomy

Question

I am 40 years old and have pre-cancerous lesions of the cervix. I will not be having any more children and would like to know if a hysterectomy would be a better way to go than the LEEP procedure? I would like to live without the fear that the pre-cancerous lesions could come back and could turn into cancer. Your response would very helpful. 

Answer

For most precancerous lesions of the cervix LEEP is an appropriate treatment with a high success rate. For patients with severe or extensive abnormalities, recurrent abnormalities, or other gynecologic conditions for which hysterectomy may be indicated, removal of the uterus can be an option. You should discuss the details of your situation with your physician.

Don't Assume You Understand

Lidocaine Spray Effective Anesthesia in LEEP

Spray scored even better than conventional lidocaine injection for post-anesthesia pain

Limited Value for Pap Tests in Endometrial Cancer Recurrence

Jan 1, 2013

In cohort of 433 women, no recurrent cancers diagnosed based on abnormal cytology

Similar Morbidity for Robotic, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy

Feb 1, 2012

But, robotic treatment significantly more costly for treatment of endometrial cancer