Physician qualifications

Last Modified: September 26, 2003


Dear OncoLink "Ask The Experts,"
My cervical biopsy results indicated that high-grade pre cancer cells were present and I am scheduled for surgery in a month. I was told that a gynecological oncologist would have a better success rate that the ob/gyn would. Is this true and if so, how would I go about having the gyn/oncologist do the procedure rather than the ob/gyn? Any info that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.  


Christina S. Chu, MD, Assistant Professor of the Division of Gynecologic Oncology at the University of Pennsylvania Health System, responds:

You did not mention what kind of surgery you were scheduled to undergo, but in general, most general gynecologists are very qualified to perform hysterectomy, LEEP or cone biopsy as treatment for severe dysplasia of the cervix. However, if you would like to seek a second opinion, or another surgeon to manage your case, I would recommend that you ask for a referral to a gynecologic oncologist in your area. When you go for your appointment, you should bring copies of your relevant Pap tests, any colposcopic biopsies, and your doctor's office notes with you.