Pregnancy after Hodgkin's Disease

Question

I had treatments for Hodgkin's Disease almost three years ago. I have had very normal blood levels and clear x-rays and CT scans since the end of treatment. I recently found out I am pregnant; my concern is that this pregnancy will cause a relapse of my cancer. 

Answer

Selina M. Luger, MD, Director of the Leukemia Program and Assistant Professor of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania, responds:

There is fortunately no data to suggest that there is any increased risk of relapse with pregnancy, in Hodgkin's Disease. Although you will not be able to get the routing scans and x-rays, you should follow-up with your oncologist on your regular schedule during the pregnancy.

Studies outline new options for the standard treatment of various lymphoma types

Dec 7, 2010 - Rituximab may be a better option than watchful waiting in some lymphoma patients, and a new treatment option appears effective for relapsed or refractory Hodgkin's lymphoma, according to two studies being presented at the annual meeting of the American Society of Hematology, held from Dec. 4 to 7 in Orlando, Fla. Other research being presented will highlight new options for the standard treatment of advanced asymptomatic follicular lymphoma; mantle cell lymphoma; and early, unfavorable Hodgkin's disease.