"M" Protein in multiple myeloma

Question

I am currently in remission after a stem cell transplant for multiple myeloma. My M protein is 0.34. At what point would I need to start treatment again? The M protein was 6 at the time of diagnosis. I have not been on any maintenance therapy. Thank you. 

Answer

Selina M. Luger, MD, Director of the Leukemia Program and Assistant Professor of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania, responds:

Without knowing the particulars of your case, it is difficult to comment. However, in general, it is usually the trend of the protein and not the absolute number that matters. For example, is the number going up or is it stable? Also we don't only look at the protein level but also other information, like the bones, the other blood tests and sometimes the bone marrow.

FDA Approves Farydak for Multiple Myeloma

Feb 25, 2015 - Farydak (panobinostat) has been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to treat multiple myeloma. Farydak inhibits the activity of histone deacetylases, which could slow the overproduction of plasma cells among people with multiple myeloma, the FDA said.