Saline Implants and Breast Biopsy

Question

I have had silicone implants for 33 years. I was told that there is a lump that will have to be removed. Are there risks of my implants being punctured during this procedure?

Answer

Don LaRossa, MD, Professor of Surgery at the University of Pennsylvania Medical School, responds:

These are very old implants, and you might consider checking the integrity of the implants with ultrasound and MRI scanning. Unfortunately, neither imaging technique is 100% accurate, but they can be helpful studies, particularly if you is going to undergo a procedure. You should discuss this with the surgeon doing the biopsy. He/she can explain his/her level of concern about the timing, the need for general vs local anesthesia, and whether implants or coordination with a plastic surgeon is needed at this juncture. The answers can vary depending on the location and size of the lump. Hope this is helpful.

Screening with Mammography: Looking at the Controversy