Leptomeningeal Cancer from Melanoma

Question

What are the treatment options for someone diagnosed with leptomeningeal cancer from melanoma?

Answer

Suzanne M. McGettigan, MSN, CRNP, AOCN, Board Certified Adult Nurse Practitioner and a Certified Oncology Advanced Practice Nurse, responds:

I did a search and found a single case study of a primary leptomeningeal melanoma (meaning the melanoma actually started in that location), but that would be more the exception than the rule. Most often, melanoma begins on the skin as a cutaneous primary lesion and then spreads to the leptomeningeal region of the brain. When melanoma spreads to the brain, it is most often resected surgically if a single lesion is present, or treated with radiation therapy either to a single lesion or to the whole brain. Also, if there is more than one site of metastasis within the brain, but only one is causing symptoms, then that single lesion may possibly be surgically resected.

I wish u knew... Skin cancer 101
by Timothy J. Hampshire
January 28, 2013

Homeopathy: What You Should Know

Data reveal that treatment of non-melanoma skin cancers nearly doubled from 1994 to 2006

Feb 9, 2011

But supplements may lower risk of melanoma for women with a history of nonmelanoma skin cancer

Jun 30, 2011

ASCO: Nicotinamide May Help Prevent Non-Melanoma Skin CA

Preliminary Australian study saw association between nicotinamide and lower rates