Sarcoma of the Cervix

Question

I am 19 years-old and been diagnosed with alveolar soft part sarcoma of the cervix. They tell me I need to have my uterus removed, but recently they said if it has spread and that they might not be able to operate. How rare is my cancer?

Answer

This is a rare kind of cancer that has occasionally been seen in the cervix. If the tumor seems confined to the cervix, radical hysterectomy may be appropriate. Otherwise, chemotherapy and/or radiotherapy may be needed. The final decision will be made by your physician(s) based on the stage of your cancer.

Don't Assume You Understand

Aggressive Approach to Cervix Abnormalities Questioned

Jul 29, 2015

One study finds early colposcopy no more cost-effective than regular surveillance

Bevacizumab Active in HIV-Linked Kaposi's Sarcoma

Mar 20, 2012

Phase 2 study shows overall response rate of 31 percent in patients with poor-prognosis HIV-KS

Ridaforolimus Promising for Treating Advanced Sarcomas

Nov 9, 2011

Clinical benefit seen for patients with advanced sarcomas of different histopathologic subtypes