Vaginal Dysplasia

Question

I had a total hysterectomy several years ago. I recently had a Pap smear that returned with HGSIL, yet I do not have a cervix. All of the information I find on the web discusses treatment modalities for cervical HGSIL, but not if located in the vaginal vault. Can you tell me what I can possibly expect for further diagnosis and treatments?

Answer

Unfortunately, women without a cervix may still suffer from dysplasia of the vagina.

The evaluation is generally the same; high-grade findings on a Pap test require a colposcopic examination of the vulva, with biopsies of abnormal areas. Biopsies verifying the presence of high-grade dysplasia may require treatment. In general, treatment options for vaginal dysplasia include excision (sometimes called upper vaginectomy), laser, or treatment with Effudex (a topical chemotherapy agent).

Smoothies for All Occasions

From the National Cancer Institute