Who should I see about chemotherapy for my prostate cancer?

Last Modified: March 11, 2007

Share article


Dear OncoLink "Ask The Experts,"
Who should I see about chemotherapy for my prostate cancer?


Carolyn Vachani RN, MSN, AOCN, OncoLink's Nurse Educator, responds:

Chemotherapy is managed by a doctor called a medical oncologist. These doctors are trained in the administration of chemotherapy and managing of related side effects. You can find a medical oncologist through your urologist or your family physician as they can recommend a medical oncologist who they trust and have a working relationship. This recommendation is typically based on both their own experience and the experience of patients that they have referred in the past.

ASCO-GU: Prostate Cancer Prevention Talk Advised

Mar 5, 2015 - Healthy men should talk to their doctors about taking a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor (5-ARI) to reduce their risk of prostate cancer, according to a joint guideline published online Feb. 24 in the Journal of Clinical Oncology by the American Society of Clinical Oncology and the American Urological Association, and released to coincide with the American Society of Clinical Oncology's Genitourinary Cancers Symposium held Feb. 26 to 28 in Orlando. The guidelines will also appear in the March issue of the Journal of Urology.

I Wish You Knew

The Controversy of Screening

View More

Blogs and Web Chats

OncoLink Blogs give our readers a chance to react to and comment on key cancer news topics and provides a forum for OncoLink Experts and readers to share opinions and learn from each other.

OncoLink OncoPilot

Facing a new cancer diagnosis or changing the course of your current treatment? Let our cancer nurses help you through!

Learn More