Tumor of the Spleen

Question

My 12 year-old miniature schnauzer recently had a splenectomy due to a large, rapidly growing tumor. The pathology report calls the tumor a "Splenic Stromal Sarcoma". Can you tell me anything about this type of tumor?

Answer

Lili Duda, VMD, Section Editor of the OncoLink Veterinary Oncology Menu, responds:

"Splenic Stromal Sarcoma" is probably referring to a tumor also known as "malignant fibrous histiocytoma of the spleen". In general, any sarcoma of the spleen has the potential to metastasize (spread) to other areas of the body, including the liver and lungs. Therefore, systemic chemotherapy might be indicated for your dog. Consultation with a veterinary oncologist is recommended. The veterinary oncologist might consider obtaining a second opinion on the biopsy specimen to confirm the diagnosis and possibly get a better idea of the prognosis, since this is a relatively uncommon tumor of the spleen. Please see the FAQ on "Fibrohistiocytic Nodules" for more information.

In Celebration of Eric Ott
August 17, 2015

Ruxolitinib Reduces Spleen Size in Myelofibrosis

Mar 1, 2012

Two studies show benefits of Janus kinase inhibitor versus best available treatment or placebo

Nicotine Dependence Underdiagnosed in U.S. Vets

Vets without diagnosis less likely to be diagnosed and treated

Fusion Transcript, PCA3 in Urine Predict Prostate Cancer Risk

Urine test for TMPRSS2:ERG and PCA3 levels can predict risk for men with elevated PSA levels