Therapy for Appendiceal Cancer

Last Modified: October 28, 2007

Question

Answer

Weijing Sun, MD, Assistant Professor of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania, the Director of Upper GI and Pancreatic-biliary-hepatic Cancer Group and the Associate Director of the GI Cancer Program, responds:

There is no particular chemotherapy regimen for appendiceal cancers. In clinical practice, we typically apply the regimens for colon cancer to appendiceal cancers. These include some combination of fluorouracil (5-FU), leucovorin (which is not a chemotherapy drug per se, but a form of folic acid that is used to make the fluorouracil more effective), oxaliplatin, irinotecan, and capecitabine.

Intensity-modulated radiation equally as effective as conventional therapy and less toxic

Jan 20, 2011 - The combination of chemotherapy with intensity-modulated radiation therapy is equally as effective for the treatment of anal cancer after two years as the combination of chemotherapy and conventionally delivered radiation therapy, as well as less toxic, according to a study presented at the American Society of Clinical Oncology's annual Gastrointestinal Cancers Symposium, held from Jan. 20 to 22 in San Francisco.