Mammogram after Mastectomy?

Question

I had a nipple-sparing mastectomy last year. Do I need to have mammograms because of the nipple sparing? I have seen reference to this in clinical practice guidelines, but I think they mean if you only had one breast removed.

Answer

Kevin R. Fox, MD, Assistant Director, Clinical Affairs and Associate Professor of Hematology/Oncology at the Abramson Cancer Center of the University of Pennsylvania, responds:

Your assumption is correct. Mammograms serve no purpose after bilateral mastectomy, even with nipple sparing. For you, a good clinical exam and review of your health or any symptoms suffices.

This is not the case for women who only had one breast removed, as they should continue to have mammograms on the remaining breast.

Receipt is significantly less common after mastectomy, even when it is strongly indicated

Apr 2, 2010 - In breast cancer patients, adjuvant radiotherapy receipt is consistently high after breast-conserving surgery but lower after mastectomy, even in patients for whom the treatment is strongly indicated, and surgeon involvement is a major influence on radiotherapy receipt, according to a study published online March 29 in the Journal of Clinical Oncology.

Benefits of yoga during cancer treatment