Clearing HPV Virus

Question

I read an article on HPV. It states," 80 percent of HPV is cleared by the immune system." Does this mean the body completely gets rid of the virus? I thought when you had a virus you had it for life.

Answer

Unfortunately, we don't yet know everything there is to know about the HPV virus. In some cases, people may completely rid themselves of the HPV virus, but in other cases, the body's immune system may just control it while the virus remains in the body. It is not possible to accurately predict exactly which folks will be able to eliminate it, but having a functioning and intact immune system is certainly an important component.

Don't Assume You Understand

Goal in Stage Ia1 Cervical Cancer Is Complete Excision

Dec 24, 2014

Women with clear surgical margins after the initial excision are more likely to remain disease-free

HPV 6, 11, 42/Combo Detection Doesn't ID CIN 2+, 3+ Risk

Dec 27, 2013

Three-year risks of CIN 2+ and CIN 3+ 0.4 and 0.0 percent, respectively, after infection

Hormonal Contraceptive Link to HPV, Cervical Cancer Examined

Jul 31, 2015

Hormonal contraceptive use does not appear to increase risk in HPV-positive women

From the National Cancer Institute