Clearing HPV Virus

Question

I read an article on HPV. It states," 80 percent of HPV is cleared by the immune system." Does this mean the body completely gets rid of the virus? I thought when you had a virus you had it for life.

Answer

Unfortunately, we don't yet know everything there is to know about the HPV virus. In some cases, people may completely rid themselves of the HPV virus, but in other cases, the body's immune system may just control it while the virus remains in the body. It is not possible to accurately predict exactly which folks will be able to eliminate it, but having a functioning and intact immune system is certainly an important component.

Prevalence of High-Risk HPV, Cytologic Abnormalities ID'd

Dec 29, 2011 - Estimates of the baseline prevalence of cytologic abnormalities, high-risk human papillomavirus, HPV 16, HPV 18, and cervical intraepithelial neoplasia grade 2 or greater have been established using the Addressing the Need for Advanced HPV Diagnostics screening trial, according to a study published in the January issue of the American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology.