Biopsy for a Second Melanoma

My husband had surgery for melanoma in October 2006 on his back. It was extensive surgery but no melanoma [was seen] in lymph nodes. He had another spot close to where the original melanoma was that was biopsied and was pre-cancer. Now it has changed some, and the doctor wants to do another extensive surgery, but he hasn't performed a biopsy and we don't know if it is melanoma or not. Is this standard practice?

Christopher J. Miller, MD, Assistant Professor of Dermatology at the Abramson Cancer Center of the University of Pennsylvania, responds:

If a patient develops a second melanoma, it is most frequently detected in the first couple of years after the original melanoma. This probably results simply from increased surveillance by the patient and his or her physicians once the patient already has a diagnosis of melanoma.

This patient's new lesion of concern should be treated no differently than any other lesion. If there is suspicion for a melanoma, a biopsy is appropriate. The doctors will have to discuss the most appropriate biopsy method with the patient. If there is a high index of suspicion for a melanoma, the preferred method of biopsy is an excision with 1-3 mm margins around all clinically visible pigment. From the patient's perspective, this might seem like another "big" surgery. I would not advocate a wide excision (e.g. 5 mm or 1 cm) without obtaining a more conservative biopsy first.

Take My Skin Cancer Prevention Challenge

Medicinal Mushrooms – Support and Safety During Breast Cancer

Non-Invasive Laser Technique Accurately Detects Melanoma

Small study showed 100 percent sensitivity and 90.9 percent specificity

Study finds high sensitivity for early melanomas, borderline lesions; specificity better than clinicians'

Risk of Second Primary Melanoma Up in Pediatric Patients

Jun 29, 2012

Pediatric patients with invasive melanoma have nearly double the risk of second primary versus adults