Recovery After Robotic Prostatectomy

Question

My husband is scheduled for robotic prostatectomy soon. How soon afterwards can we expect him to have his strength back? When will he be able to fly, drive or walk a long distance, climb steps, carry groceries, or lift grandchildren?

Answer

David I. Lee, MD, Chief of the Division of Urology at Penn Presbyterian Medical Center, responds:

Usually men are ready to get back to work by about 2 to 3 weeks after surgery, if all goes smoothly.  If they do really well, then this may be as soon as 1 to 2 weeks.  They can fly by 1-2 weeks. They can walk as much as they want (and as they can tolerate) when they get home from the hospital.  They may climb steps right away.  They can not lift more than 10 lbs for about 3 weeks.

Similar Outcomes for Robotic, Laparoscopic Prostatectomy

Apr 17, 2013 - For men undergoing routine surgical treatment for localized cancer of the prostate, robot-assisted radical prostatectomy does not result in better functional outcomes compared to laparoscopic radical prostatectomy, according to a study published in the Ap

The Public Face of Prostate Cancer