I may need radiation to my breast area. Can I still have implants?

Question

Answer

Rachel McKenna, MSN, CRNP, Nurse Practitioner in the Division of Plastic Surgery at the University of Pennsylvania Hospital, responds:

Radiation and the impact on implants is something that needs to be discussed carefully with your surgeon. It is true that women who have implants and radiation can be at higher risk for multiple complications, such as capsular contracture. However, the timing of the radiation and implant, as well as the type of implant, can be adjusted to help minimize this risk.

3D Mammography: What is it?