I do not want any muscle taken from my abdominal wall during my breast flap reconstruction surgery. Can my doctor guarantee this prior to surgery?

Question

Answer

Rachel McKenna, MSN, CRNP, Nurse Practitioner in the Division of Plastic Surgery at the University of Pennsylvania Hospital, responds:

Although it is always a priority to take no abdominal wall muscle it is impossible to guarantee this prior to surgery. This type of surgery is based on blood vessels. We do not know the quality or exact location of your deep blood vessels until we get into surgery. If you choose to have this type of surgery you must understand that there is a chance we will need to take a small piece of muscle from your abdomen to ensure the success of the breast reconstruction.

Breast Cancer Survivorship: A Roadmap
August 20, 2013

Don't Assume You Understand

Reconstruction With Perforator Flaps Ups Fat Necrosis

Jun 6, 2013

Fat necrosis risk increased among African-Americans and with increasing flap weight

Multiple Surgeries Common in Breast Reconstruction

Most post-mastectomy breast cancer patients will need two or more procedures to complete process

Low Complication Rate for Nipple-Sparing Mastectomy

Feb 4, 2013

Nipple-sparing mastectomy with microsurgical breast reconstruction safe for select patients