How long will I need to be out of work after breast reconstructive surgery?

Question

Answer

Rachel McKenna, MSN, CRNP, Nurse Practitioner in the Division of Plastic Surgery at the University of Pennsylvania Hospital, responds:

For implant reconstruction most women take 3-4 weeks off of work following the mastectomy and placement of the tissue expanders and one week off of work after the second stage surgery (removal of tissue expanders and placement of the permanent implant). Many women are able to return to work during the tissue expansion process.

For tissue flap reconstruction women generally take 6 weeks off of work.

Post-mastectomy irradiation tied to complications, implant loss in women who undergo IBR

Sep 21, 2010 - In breast cancer patients who undergo immediate breast reconstruction, post-mastectomy irradiation is linked to surgical complications and implant loss, but the risk of noninfectious postoperative complications isn't higher after mastectomy and immediate breast reconstruction in women who receive chemotherapy, according to two studies published in the September issue of the Archives of Surgery.

Frequently Asked Questions

National Cancer Institute

Conferences

3D Mammography: What is it?