Do I need to have any special supplies at home for my recovery after breast reconstructive surgery?

Question

Answer

Rachel McKenna, MSN, CRNP, Nurse Practitioner in the Division of Plastic Surgery at the University of Pennsylvania Hospital, responds:

Bring to the hospital a shirt that either buttons or zips up the front. Just after surgery it can be painful to raise your arms overhead.

Sometimes your surgeon will request that you buy a special supportive bra to wear after surgery. This should be a bra without underwires and one that closes in the front. Many department stores sell these in the sports bra section. You can also purchase on at the Faith and Hope Boutique at the Cancer Center. Some women are also more comfortable in a camisole with a self bra.

Survivorship: A Roadmap for Managing Fear [Webinar]
March 04, 2014

In Celebration of Eric Ott
August 17, 2015

Multiple Surgeries Common in Breast Reconstruction

Most post-mastectomy breast cancer patients will need two or more procedures to complete process

ASPS: Body Image Drives Cosmetic Sx Post-Breast Recon

Many cancer patients undergo further cosmetic surgery to improve self-image

Reconstruction With Perforator Flaps Ups Fat Necrosis

Jun 6, 2013

Fat necrosis risk increased among African-Americans and with increasing flap weight