Do I need to have any special supplies at home for my recovery after breast reconstructive surgery?

Question

Answer

Rachel McKenna, MSN, CRNP, Nurse Practitioner in the Division of Plastic Surgery at the University of Pennsylvania Hospital, responds:

Bring to the hospital a shirt that either buttons or zips up the front. Just after surgery it can be painful to raise your arms overhead.

Sometimes your surgeon will request that you buy a special supportive bra to wear after surgery. This should be a bra without underwires and one that closes in the front. Many department stores sell these in the sports bra section. You can also purchase on at the Faith and Hope Boutique at the Cancer Center. Some women are also more comfortable in a camisole with a self bra.

Post-mastectomy irradiation tied to complications, implant loss in women who undergo IBR

Sep 21, 2010 - In breast cancer patients who undergo immediate breast reconstruction, post-mastectomy irradiation is linked to surgical complications and implant loss, but the risk of noninfectious postoperative complications isn't higher after mastectomy and immediate breast reconstruction in women who receive chemotherapy, according to two studies published in the September issue of the Archives of Surgery.

Frequently Asked Questions

National Cancer Institute

Conferences

Benefits of yoga during cancer treatment